Saturday, July 4, 2009

Making Yoghurt




I have had so many people ask me how to make yoghurt that I thought I would write it down. My yoghurt has become better and better lately - not sure if it is because I have finally decided on a method and follow it, or if the culture has become better over time.

Here we go.

1. (Use 1L of milk for every 1L of yoghurt you would like.)
Gently heat the milk in a saucepan to 85deg Celcius. (180deg F)
Heating it gently means it is less likely to burn on the bottom and protects the enzymes in raw milk as much as possible. Stir it regularly.



2. Allow the milk to cool until it is 45deg Celcius (110deg F)
3. Place it in the jar and add 2tbs of your previous yoghurt

(Sometimes I add about 2tbs of "Esiyo" dried yoghurt sachet and keep the rest in the fridge until next time-this is good for those times when you eat all of your yoghurt before you remember to make another batch!)


4. If you like, you can also add about 2 tbs of sugar or equivalent of other sweetener (like stevia) and 2 tsp of vanilla. I also like to add 1/3 cup of full cream powdered milk to help make the yoghurt really thick and creamy. Mix well.

5. Keep yoghurt warm for about 8 hours. There are lots of different ways to achieve this but my favourite is to use the oven. Turn the oven on low for about 30secs to warm it up. Then turn it off, but leave the pilot light on.



6. Put yoghurt in the fridge. Delicious!

I hope you have great fun making yoghurt. If you like fruit flavours in your yoghurt, the best way I have found to flavour them, is to add jam to the yoghurt, after it has set. As the jam is sweet, you won't need to add any sweetener to the yoghurt. We use "sugar free" strawberry yoghurt - and it tastes just like strawberry flavoured yoghurt from the shops!






No comments:

Post a Comment